Episode 10 gets a little scary: those European scientists are at it again! This time they want to punch a hole in the fabric of space! We look at someone who is expanding the possibilities at his public library through gaming and technology courses. National gaming Day is today! Don’t let any pop psychologists try to ruin it for you. They also talk a little about how to not scare off your new gamers with a bunch of boring rules. And, of course, Game Picks of the Week and Brain Flakes! Check out the show notes for details and links!
- Mike spent his week in Second Life and doing a few things on the website.
- Jason talks about his article about his addiction to Minecraft.
- Operation Lapis by the Pericles Group is a forum-based role playing game designed to teach Latin to students from high school through college. See the article at KQED also.
- Donald Dennis of the Georgetown County Public Library System in South Carolina has developed the BYTES Progam. It sets up family game night for board, card, and dice games, video games and more. It also has game design meetings and computer courses on video and photo editing.
- SCIENCE! European scientists are at it again! This time they want to use a massive laser array to punch a hole in the fabric of space and time. Didn’t they learn anything from that whole Frankenstein’s monster brouhaha?
- It’s National Gaming Day! Check with your local library, quick, to see if they are participating, and go have some fun!
- We also discuss how to introduce new gamers to gaming without making them run screaming for the door.
Picks of the Week
- Mike: [amazon_link id=”B000AEPYAC” target=”_blank” container=”” container_class=”” ]Facts in Five by University Games[/amazon_link] or [amazon_link id=”B001RNC0VG” target=”_blank” container=”” container_class=”” ]Scattergories by Parker Brothers[/amazon_link]
- Jason: [amazon_link id=”0786955570″ target=”_blank” container=”” container_class=”” ]Castle Ravenloft by Wizards of the Coast[/amazon_link]
If your friendly local game store doesn’t have those games, click the links and nab them!