It’s the Halloween show! Well, sort of. Mike picks a Halloween-y game, but Jason doesn’t. But October means Spiele time in Essen, Germany, so we talk about the game conference’s Top 10 Games for 2011. There is SCIENCE! in our Brain Flakes. And Halloween parties aren’t all about games — what about the movies? Hear what our faves are, and post your own faves below!
By the way: Mike kind of gets the rules for his pick of the week mixed up with the rules to its follow up game. He’ll set this all right in the next podcast. SORRY!
- Mike and Jason — well, Jason really — rant about criminals who cause hotel guests to do major damage to the hotels. Not cool, and jail time is needed.
- PBS documentary series Off Book‘s latest episode is about the art of video games. Check it out at the PBS site.
- Apples to Apples is coming to PlayStation Network, XBox Live Arcade, as well as Facebook and mobile devices. The official information can be found at BusinessWire.
- SCIENCE! New Scientist has information on a study announced by the American Academy of Opthalmology that video games can help cure amblyopia (“lazy eye”). While it was once thought nothing much could be done after age 9 to retrain the “lazy” eye, it seems first person shooters and driving games in conjunction with other medical procedures definitely help. The full story is here.
- Spiele Game Faire in Essen, Germany just announced its top 10 picks for 2011. We mention the top 3.
- If you aren’t buying gifts now, you might be soon. So what do you get the board game fiend in your circle of friends? Check out the handmade specialty items at Etsy.Com. Here’s a link to the board game search.
- Need some movies to watch for Halloween? We name a few of our favorites.
Picks of the Week
- Mike: [amazon_link id=”B004DCO0CA” target=”_blank” container=”” container_class=”” ]Give Me the Brain! by Steve Jackson Games [/amazon_link]
- Jason: [amazon_link id=”B002JPKPR2″ target=”_blank” container=”” container_class=”” ]Settlers of Catan Dice Game by Mayfair Games[/amazon_link]
If your friendly local game store doesn’t have those games, click the links and nab them!