Like your boardgames served up Indian Jones style? We have a couple of those this week. Mike reviews his Pick of the Week from the last podcast — is he vindicated for picking an unopened game? And has the sexualized depiction of women in role play and computer gaming filtered down to board games now? All of this and Brain Flakes in this episode of The Dice Guys — which has nothing to do with 007. Mike just likes 007. A lot. So deal.
- Mike did nothing this week but work, anticipate episode Double-Oh Seven coming up, and get mad at Oklahoma drivers.
- Jason’s daughter’s gaming group visited and they played some more Gamma World.
- SCIENCE! Check out the video of quantum levitation and locking which comes from the Association of Science-Technology Centers (ASTC). This is the superconductivity group at Tel Aviv University demonstrating superconductors locked in a magnetic field. It’ll give you ideas and blow your mind.
- MORE SCIENCE! Another step closer to Star Trek holodecks: Microsoft Research Cambridge is using the Kinect interface and some glass to create virtual objects you can manipulate with your hands. See or download videos here.
- Man, those Scrabble tournament players are hardcore! Really? Strip searches?
- Mike provides a review/overview of his pick of the week in the last podcast: [amazon_link id=”B003D7F4YY” target=”_blank” container=”” container_class=”” ]Forbidden Island by Gamewright[/amazon_link].
- Wundergeek at GoMakeMeASandwich.wordpress.com takes a look at sexualized images of women in game design over at Fantasy Flight Games — and, now, so do we. Really — bikini armor? Is the age-old trend from role play and computer games getting into our board games now? Has it always been there but is increasing now? Listen — and leave comments below!
Picks of the Week
- Jason: [amazon_link id=”1616611626″ target=”_blank” container=”” container_class=”” ]The Adventurers: Pyramid of Horus by Fantasy Flight Games [/amazon_link]
- Mike: [amazon_link id=”161661238X” target=”_blank” container=”” container_class=”” ]Wiz-War by Fantasy Flight Games[/amazon_link]
If your friendly local game store doesn’t have those games, click the links and nab them!